I made a thing (with help)

If my spoon sanding taught you anything, it's that I don't really know how to use power tools. But I have friends who do and they have a ton of power tools and they may or may not have referred to me as Morty and I assert I am more of a Summer but whatever.

Since translating Maritgen's inventory, I've had my eye on constructing a nutmeg rasp. There is an extant one in Museum Boijmans van Beuningen and there's a very clear image of a rasp in Pieter van der Heyden's and Pieter Bruegel's De Vettte Keuken dated 1563.

So I ordered thinly planed, 1/4" thick walnut from Rockler and I went to Osh to pick up some 25ga (ish) sheet brass per the advice of my buddy Greg.

He did the super scurry power tool cutting of the blanks (table saws, other saws) and left the sanding, etc to me. The dimensions of the finished object are roughly 1.5" wide by 4" long.

The photo dump basically skips the part with the drill, the parts where I got to go tink tink with a hammer, the clipping of the brass escutcheon "nails", the peening of what was left, and the maniacal cackling when this was actually finished.



Sisters, not twins. Don't stare at the imperfect corners too long, lest you overshape them like eyebrows or cat eyeliner. 

The brass started to shape itself as we punched it out using a nail Greg had to resharpen often. 

You can really see the curve here. 

More or less ready for the rest of it. 




Comments