Snuffers and churns and brothel tallys

I didn't bring my laptop so I tried doing this post on my phone and that was terrible so here I am on a Danish laptop! You haven't lived until you've typed on a foreign keyboard.

Anyway I think I swore that I was going to go on vacation and NOT think about projects or SCA nonsense and for the most part I was successful until Sophie took me to Den Fynske Landsby in Odense, which is a 17th century living history museum that is SO COOL. The volunteers there were actually doing things versus just acting, so I saw beekeeping and weaving and repairing straw slippers and it was so great. Look at these natural dyes! I want to print this and frame it and hang it as art. So beautiful.


The gift shop was EVEN BETTER. Let me tell you why, friends. They had butter churns. Small, affordable, handmade looking butter churns. I mulled it over and before we left Odense I made Sophie take me back so I could purchase a churn. I purchased the large churn. Then Eulalia up in An Tir asked me if I could get the other smaller churn for her. I agreed.

After purchasing churn #1 I went to Hytteballe Antik in Odense. That is when my suitcase became perilously full.

Back in 2015 when I did the brothel party at A&S tournament with Vyncent I pored over a ton of brothel paintings. One common thing is drinks being tallied, either over the mantel or on the walls like this Beuckelaer painting or on boards like this Pourbus painting (check out the gal on the right). So here I am at Hytteballe Antik when I see this thing on the ground. I excitedly pick it up and ask Poul, the owner, what the hell it is! His daughter consulted a book about household objects and they couldn't find it, but I did not even care because I knew what I wanted to do with it.



What you can't see is the join work. HEEEHEE. Brothel Party 2017. I think if I use my cutting board mineral oil and the beeswax conditioner this should clean up really nicely.


I had to make sure this stuff would fit. I have since added a cushioning layer of Haribo and Ritter and other German goodies. Good thing I ended up bringing a big suitcase and my Rick Steve's backback carryon which expands to a size reasonable enough to hold my clothes and shoes and toiletries. As you can see I still have plenty of room anyway! The best treasure is going in my carry on bag.

While I was translating Maria's inventory I came across
-4 coperen snuyters (4 copper snuffers)

Thankfully in an article accompanying the inventory, one of these is pictured. I don't have the book with me so I hope I bought one that is close to a 16th century design.




This I also found at Hytteballe Antik! In Danish a snuffer is called a lyseslukker 


Comments

  1. So freaking cool to find things at the stores and then add links to old paintings that show the exact freaking thing. Awesome! Only concern with the snuffer going into your carryon: would security freak out that it's scissors (that might be prohibited?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All security in Denmark did was pull it out and look at it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I really was! And I realize now that the most common snuffer shape was pear in the 16th century and the 17th is when rectangular happens but oh well! I did poke around and find a possible 16th century rectangular one.

      Delete

Post a Comment