Maarten van Cleef, Maerten van Cleef, Marten van Cleef, Maarten van Cleve, Maerten van Cleve, Martin van Cleve

I almost never want to reference Marten van Cleve in documentation of the Antwerpen market dress.

  • Was Marten van Cleve active in/around Antwerp? Yes. 
  • Did he paint market scenes? Not that I've found yet. More often scenes of people in their homes, or scenes of merriment at weddings. 
  • Do the subjects of his paintings resemble those of Beuckelaer, Aertsen, and co.? Not really. Marten van Cleve's works tend to depict women reminiscent of Bruegel. 
  • Are the people in van Cleve's paintings of  a lower socio-economic standing than the people Beuckelaer and Aertsen painted? To me it appears that way. Can I justify that answer with facts? Not really. I mean, in A Visit to the Wet Nurse it looks like they literally live in a barn. 

In my opinion, Marten van Cleve is painting a totally different slice of life. He's worth a brief mention but the buck stops there.
Marten van Cleve A Visit to the Wet Nurse third quarter of the 16th century. High res available on Wikimedia 
Marten van Cleve Genre Scene date unknown, high res available on Wikimedia 
Marten van Cleve The Wedding Dance date unknown
The similarity to Bruegel really can be seen when you view the two different paintings of The Wedding Dance.

Pieter Brugel The Wedding Dance 1566
Marten van Cleve also painted the woman wearing what is "the stomacher dress." This image has been floating around on Pinterest. Before that I saw it on Livejournal. I don't know that I've ever seen a high res image of the painting it comes from. If you know more about the painting/who took the photo of the painting, please let me know.

The Mysterious Case of the Missing Attribution 
Editing to add: I'm suspecting that this dress is like the dresses with the cut on bodice in Drei Schnittbuecher but I won't know until I try and I don't really feel like trying it right now.

Comments