Black radish black radish

I had a post written and then 2 days after the event it seemed to be not enough somehow, because there really are not enough words to express my gratitude to everyone who helped me pull off the Antwerpen Market.

I started planning the Antwerpen Market in June 2015 hot on the heels of the brothel party. Anna Serra and Francisco (Stacy and Tony) approached me about sewing for money, but I told them if they let me make what I wanted to make I'd do it for the cost of materials and they had to help me with this thing. . . . I thought the market would be the perfect addition to the West Kingdom Golden Beltane and Towne Faire but it can't be done alone. They agreed. There's something fun about aiming to be so specific with a goal. I created a closed Facebook group, added people who I thought would find this idea to be really really fun, I added cooks because they use the veggies and fruit and stuff.

The original aim, because we can't sell produce for money, was to have a buy in of around $5-7 per participant in the market so I could buy all the produce for us and offset my personal costs. Instead, Duchess Juana's former CSA farmer grew the fruit and veg and Juana arranged the pick up. I did end up buying some things to supplement but that was a mistake, as you'll see from the pictures. Nothing I purchased ended up being used in the market because there was SO MUCH food from the farmer. The only supplements were the cheeses I purchased (2lb wheel of mild gouda, 1lb loaf of Kurpianka which I felt was a good enough compromise for a cheese in the paintings). Instead of cash for food because of legalities, we told everyone who offered that we could only accept a donation to Second Harvest Food Bank. We raised $126. What's even better is that the Stand Up For Kids campaign is matching all donations by $2 until May 31st, so we effectively raised $378.

Before I get to the thank yous and photo dump, I sewed:
Anna Serra's kirtle and overdress and the apron she's wearing.
Francisco's doublet, pants, and wrap vest.
Etain's smock (by hand because I love her), kirtle, and overdress (made in 2015 for brothel)
Elena's overdress (2015 for brothel)
Gianett's overdress, veil, and black partlet (2015 for brothel)
My outfit (old things cobbled together), except the gollar.

I draped:
Heidi and let her run free.

Credit due:
Anna Serra: She contributed the Ronald McDonald House Sunshade, arranged the produce while I was getting dressed, made the pancake batter and jam, baked the bread and the meat pies, and supported my crazy vision.
Francisco: helped set up the infrastructure, wore all wool because I told him he would look amazing if he did wear wool, made those delicious pancakes while sitting in front of the fire in all the layers of wool, demonstrated the proper use of the fly on his pants, and also supported my crazy vision. Also said the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me, which is that my sewing is as crude as my language. I LOVE YOU MAN.
Juana: Made yummy wafers, arranged the produce, told me where to get the 2lb wheel of gouda, provided grandpeer support.
Ivar: Drove with me to pick up the produce.
Etain: Wore 16th century clothing against great protest ;) , provided peer support.
Heidi: THE GOATS. They stole the show. Her goats were the belles of the ball.
Else: She provided medical aid to Bridget Jones the doeling.
Bridget Walker: thanks for being another Low Countries enthusiast!
Gianetta: defended the quality of our produce when some Scotswoman insulted it.
Elena: black radish song, I still don't get it but ok!
Vyncent: Let me borrow his 3 legged stool. He made 2 for the brothel last year.
Edith: Ran goat interference when no one else could.

My apologies to anyone I neglected to mention! My brain is still not functioning at an optimal level.

What's next for me - the majors.
August 5-7: teaching at Northern Marches A&S, because reasons. Either going going to redact some recipes in Gent because someone named Alijt had the manuscript so now I have to and teach a class on historic tourney cooking for the non foodie or a class on thread weights and why they don't just matter for embroidery.

Twelfth Night: I am planning a giant display. I am making/buying items from Maria's inventory, and doing a display. I need to get started. I've arranged help with the woodwork and the shoes. The clothing I feel like I can handle, I hopefully know how to sew without cutting off a finger. Not so much with a table saw.

Towne Faire 2018: Cheese stall. Clearly I have time to plan this one, but Juana and I are going to make most of the cheeses and I am going to make waxed linen to wrap the cheese we "sell" in. Now accepting scraps of white/natural colored linen as a donation. Going Noord - Friesland, Groningen, Leiden.















Comments

  1. I don't know, man, it started out as the Black Adder theme song and turned into an Oingo Boingo song. I have no control. The muse goes where she will.

    Love your last pic, hadn't seen that one before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,wow! It all looks amazing! I didn't get to go for life reasons, but I am truly grateful for your pictures. You probably don't remember, but you gave me awesome advice, way back in 2008 at Estrella, on making my Flemish fit right. That style is still one of my most favorites. Thank you, and keep on being amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words! Didn't I accidentally knock your hot chocolate over on you? Still so embarrassed about that!

      Delete
  3. Those pics are fabulous. The one of you and Her Grace with the cheese...serious bidnez!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I am fellow enthusiast of 16th C Dutch and Flemish wear (based in Aneala, Lochac). I was wondering if you would be willing to turn the FB group that made this amazing display into a more open group for people interested in this period and style of clothing? Or help build one? There are a couple of people around who blog about it, and Clara van der Maes in Lochac has a FB page for her site (Clothing of the Low Countries), but I would love to see a more open group similar to the Elizabethan Costumers group, where people can more easily share and contribute.

    The 16thC Flemish and Dutch wear is so distinctive and different, there are not many people around who have an interest beyond the "I want to make a Flemish dress" (and these people usually do straight to Drea Leed anyway). I would love to see the small but enthusiastic community of these costumers come together to share what we are learning and figuring out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I am fellow enthusiast of 16th C Dutch and Flemish wear (based in Aneala, Lochac). I was wondering if you would be willing to turn the FB group that made this amazing display into a more open group for people interested in this period and style of clothing? Or help build one? There are a couple of people around who blog about it, and Clara van der Maes in Lochac has a FB page for her site (Clothing of the Low Countries), but I would love to see a more open group similar to the Elizabethan Costumers group, where people can more easily share and contribute.

    The 16thC Flemish and Dutch wear is so distinctive and different, there are not many people around who have an interest beyond the "I want to make a Flemish dress" (and these people usually do straight to Drea Leed anyway). I would love to see the small but enthusiastic community of these costumers come together to share what we are learning and figuring out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Suzie! There is a facebook group for Low Countries clothing, but it's not quite as active as the Elizabethan Costume group. Here's the link https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566839276975445/
      If it doesn't work search for Medieval Low-Countries Reenactment.

      I'd open up the group I used for this, but since I plan on using it for planning the cheese market in two years with the same core group, the facebook group I linked should do the trick!

      Delete

Post a Comment