Where I've been and where I'm going!

I started a job in October, around the time of my last post. Oddly telling - when I'm working I don't allocate time for being creative or doing SCA stuff. I did go to Twelfth Night and Beltane (Blowtane pt II: Revenge of the Wind).

But hey, guess what? I'm home with strep throat so let's talk butter because I feel like hot trash. Yesterday I wrote up From Udder to Butter because I pretty firmly decided that no matter what I was going to go to West/An Tir war, and I also maybe wanted to teach the butter class I've been talking about but I've never been able to teach because at a restaurant you have to work weekends, even if you're literally the only person available during the week. So even if I don't get to teach it and make butter with people, at least I could give you all an idea of the methods of butter making. Per usual I'll update it with any new information I find and I fully intend to update it once I do get a firkin and brine the butter like Markham mentions. I'm also in contact with a potter about making some vessels for storing salted butter.

I'm looking for other texts and references to butter churning in the 16th century, but right now I'm pretty content with what I have. While poking around on the internet for the specific scientific explanation of why butter churns better at room temp, I found a mention of a 1932 homemaker's guide to churning butter that mentions either heating or cooling the churn much like Gervase Markham and Bartholomew Dowe do. Of course I can't find the website again, but I wanted to put that out there.

Comments