Parrot Pillow update!

It has been 7 days since the last update. Here's what I've been up to, besides binge watching Netflix and playing Dota2 and languishing in the heat wave.

  • I stitched the inner "frame" of the applique down. 
  • I found a local  needlework supply store that has the 3 ply yarn I need, but ultimately I need to stitch everything down before I go in and figure out what colors I'd like to use for the couching. 
  • I decided that I wasn't going to bring this project with me on my trip, so if I don't finish it before Friday I'm not going to cry any tears of sadness. Being 3 weeks behind on a project is not the end of the world. 
Previously I mentioned I disregard the advice given to me by the experts. I thought I could go why in a little more detail. 

The first person I asked suggested a slate frame. Those are expensive, and I wasn't sure if given my motivation for this project that I'd ever do needlework again. 

I asked someone else, who suggested that I did not need a slate frame because applique does not require the intense tightness that something like gold work does. 

Another friend suggested I use a scroll frame, but I need to see the whole of the project at once, or at least be able to quickly see it all at once in terms of applique placement which I'm more or less eyeballing. 

Another friend suggested I use stretcher bars. 

I bought a q-snap frame because I did not want to spend a ton of money. Well friends, spending money on the wrong thing is a terrible idea. The wool has too much stretch for a frame like that. 

I again consulted the friend who suggested the stretcher bars. I was like "eh, I can spend $30 bucks on this!" When I went to a highly recommended needlework store and told the owner my project intentions, she was super rude and disregarded everything I said about making a reconstruction of a cushion find from the 16th century but I bought the stretcher bars anyway. 

When I got home and tried the stretcher bars, I realized they were not the way for me to go for a few reasons. I like sitting at my desk to sew. As a result I'm able to keep the fabric relatively flat to begin with. After some ridiculous anxiety over methods used, I just went with it. Most of the existing tension issues will likely be irrelevant once I stuff it with the feathers. 

In the below image I've laid out the appliques to give you an idea of placement. The brown leaves will likely be couched with gold, and they'll have "veins" as well. The blue rosettes are going to be couched with the green wool I laid over the rosette, and they'll be divided up into 4 petal sections. I'm not sure what color I'll couch the pale green rosettes with. Once everything is tacked down, I'll also assemble my parrot applique. 








Comments