I should probably update this thing

Chronologically, I should probably say what's up. I have two projects I'm working on. My WCCS class will be the translation of Oude Maria's/Maritgen's kitchen inventory, though I suspect this is turning into a larger project than intended. At first I was like "she only has things here here and here" (kitchen, backkitchen, attic above them both, yard) and then I was reading and she has things all over the house. The only really clear separation are the clothes and her debts. That being said, she had like two culinary items in the voorhuis. Can probably skip it!

Transcription was the worst - if I mistype something it leads to sadness later, so that took the longest. Sometimes the answers to the words I'm having problems with are in the scholarly articles - there's an article with pictures of extant objects and modern Dutch, very nice. Others articles I actually have to scan for the word. Taljoorhuisken was finally made clear to me, it's a shelf for trenchers so they don't mildew.

I do my best thinking in the morning, but that's also when I do my best everything. I've been trying to translate "een busgen witte droom mit 2 zwarte wanten." Busgen was giving me many many problems, until I remembered -gen is a diminutive. Droom is another problem entirely and in this context no matter what the etymological dictionary says it does not mean dream. I began to wonder if Dutch has da- compounds like German does with prepositions. AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW? IT DOES. So could be daarom, could not be. I think the loose translation is "a little white box with two black mittens."

The next project is for West Kingdom Golden Beltane/Towne Faire. I'm hoping to run an Antwerpen market. In February I'm hosting a small workshop at my place on Antwerpen market dress for the ladies. It's two days and is going to cover it all, or as much as I can cram in two days. I better stock up on coffee. I have 2 people signed up and Laina/Mistress Elena Edgar is on board to help pattern so it should go by quickly.

I'm tossing around the idea of a workshop for the guys, but March and April are pretty busy already and the event is the first week of May so I'm not sure it's feasible.



Comments