Constantly learning

I think I mentioned this in my other blog (mostly 20s and 30s costuming planned, blah blah blah) but in October I majorly treated myself to a Bernina 740. And then the Ikea sit/stand desk to go with it because I now had nowhere to place an obscenely large machine. I had previously been sewing on a Singer Featherweight and I also had a Singer 15-90 in a cabinet. But the Bernina purchase? That's when the learning began! "Do you know about thread weight?" asked my friend Toni. I think I had a blank look on my face. I said "I know there's like uh buttonhole thread, and uh, yeah. Like silk and cotton Gutermann and stuff." And then I learned about Aurifil, Mettler, 100/2, 50/2, 40/2, and so many other things my head started to spin. And then the needle learning began! I mean, I knew a little bit about this before but I didn't KNOW.

But last night the learnings continued. I bought some gorgeous gorgeous linen lawn that I'll hoard and slowly use until I die and then it better be my shroud. I tried sewing two hovetcleets with the silk Gutermann thread. It was WAY too thick. So I ordered some 100/2 linen thread on the advice of more learned seamstresses. Last night I tried to use it, and Toni said "Nah, that needle is too thick." I think I got that blank look on my face. "Use number 10 needles" she said. "John James needles. On Amazon." I went home and ordered some needles with Prime shipping. I have the one impossibly tiny eyed needle Liz let me take, and it truly does make a difference. I ordered the large eye size 10s. I threw in When Marnie Was There for good measure (hopefully it won't disappoint).

So I think the lesson I learned is that I really won't stop learning until I die. If my grandma could learn how to send e-mail and play Solitaire at the age of 80 I'm pretty sure I can continue to learn about cool stuff like sewing.

That being said I constantly have to consult the machine needle guide. I need to stencil something on my wall. "Larger the thread number, smaller the thread." And something equally clever for needles.

Comments