Great Western War - You could fry an egg on the asphalt!

I think that was without a doubt the hottest SCA event I have willingly been to. Usually if it's over 90 degrees I don't go, but it's hard to guess the event weather 4 months in advance and when you pre-reg and drive someone else, it's a little difficult to nope out.

What I learned:
Have at least 1 to 2 back up Roman's in the box o'crap to wear.
Pack those Roman's in a rubbermaid tub large enough for your feet.
Use that tub for an ice bath for your feet.

I did not actually do ANY of these things. Like the best lesson, I learned it after the fact.  I had started a chiton 2 days before but didn't want to stress about it, so I didn't try to hurry to finish it. Someone was selling chitons at GWW but I absolutely refused to spend $75 on two pieces of linen. Appentice pride cometh before heat stroke. Thankfully my Laurel's protege let me borrow one she had purchased. And I ran around barefoot because I wasn't about to wear my 15th century shoes with Roman clothing.

And thus the foot bath garb tub idea was born.

And I suspect that May-October in California every time I go to an SCA event I'll be wearing Roman clothing. It's just too damn hot to be Dutch or German and wear anything form fitting.  When I was younger I didn't care. Now I'm like "I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING. WHAT IS LIFE? KILL ME NOW. SEND ICE CREAM BEFORE YOU KILL ME."

Other than that it was an a-ok event. I only left camp to shop. I bought a bellarmine from Raku Taku Tei for any German/Dutch shenanigans I get up to in the future. I bought a necklace to fancy up any Roman shenanigans. I bought two fibulae. I bought two hair pins. I bought two pieces of a belt from Raymond's Quiet Press for some 15th century German things.  I bought a root beer float. I bought linen stockings because my HE hose are done. Holes in both pairs, and the seams rub against my toenails and bruise them. Meh. I'm going to cut them up and pattern them, and am considering moving the seam up about 1/2". Also, I will flat fell the seams and they will be on the outside for the foot portion. The HE hose have serged seams on the inside. Not so comfy.

This morning I had an a-ha moment about gefränse. I was wondering if the hair could possible be taped up using the band the gefränse is on and I tried it out. Well, the bands of mine aren't long enough, so I took a length of linen twill tape and I think it would work. I'll try it out when I get to it.

I am not going to Twelfth Night because reasons, but if I finish an outfit and feel like day tripping it, I'll go.

The Antwerpen market at Towne Faire/Golden Beltane is still possibly a go, but how much of a go really depends on things other than "interest" from other people. It involves commitment and doing - my two least favorite things.

Comments