William of Whorange

Ok, ok. That's past the time of these outfits, but inspired by the Dutch brothel party at West Kingdom Arts and Sciences tournament. I knew I'd be teaching a class on the Antwerpen market dress, which is also an Antwerpen "brothel employee" dress, which is also a cook's dress, so I guess let's just call it a type of Antwerpen dress in the 16th century.

Let's start with my class. I'm definitely not a teacher, and any presentation skills I honed over my years in college have dribbled out of my head. Even in preparation for the heat, I will never host a class that early again and I will request questions be saved for the end. I will not try to cram a 26 page overview and construction class into a one and a half hour class that starts late because maybe people will show up/come back. I rambled way too much, probably due to lack of sleep and my forgetting how to finish a thought.

But the dresses looked pretty amazing! Here's a sitting down picture of my dress.

I am wearing Kass McGann's interpretation of a stomacher only under the overdress, and there are no seams in my bodice. 

Here is a picture of Gianetta's dress! I wish I had finished the kinbaard but between handout revision 1 and 37058327580273 I ran out of time. I did not make her sleeves, apron, or smock. Or the coif you can't see.  The acid green tape came from Etaine. She is wearing an overdress cut with seams in the bodice (and a curved armscye), and a stomacher only. 

Here is a picture of Etaine. I made her smock (handsewn because everyone deserves at least 1 snobby item), her side lacing kirtle, and her overdress. She made her apron and her sleeves and her partlet. 

I also made Elena's dress. She made her whorange kirtle (her words, not mine), her apron, her sleeves, and her veil. I made her overdress. I made it quite short on purpose. 
Brothel Employee of the month


The trapezoidal skirt panels really make the dresses look right, though it's easiest to see on Elena. I don't know that a full length picture of Etaine exists, but you'd see it there too!

And after the jump, a NSFW picture of the tokens I had made for the brothel staff/helpers.


Everyone seemed to love the brothel party. I was inspired by a ton of 16th century paintings of a rowdy fun time. I learned a lot about planning and executing a large event, and expectations and letting things just flow, which I am admittedly terrible at.

I asked Wulfric if he could share some of his meat, and he did.
Juana made some "house special" cheese for De Muis in de Kaas.
Heidi donated hypocras.
The egg dancing definitely helped the ambiance of the party.
It was tight so there wasn't much room for sitting on laps. I had moved the tables so that the "brothel employees" would be able to move freely and pour beer, but somehow the tables got moved again. /shrug

And when you click read more, you'll see the pewter wangs I commissioned for the party. If pewter penises offend you, don't click read more.



The pewter penises that I commissioned for the party set my mood. Luthold polished 30 knobs. I ran around cackling about my bag of dicks. I probably offend women and children. Someone probably clutched their pearls, for sure. I gave out thank you dicks, and celebratory dick. I gave away 27 dicks! That's more dicks than any woman should ever give about anything. I have 2 last dicks to give, and I might just keep them for myself. You never know when you might need a d to get you through a humorless dry spell.

Based on a 15th century pendant from the Low Countries. Pomegranate pillow is an innocent bystander.  
But fear not. I have the mold. I might bust out some wangs myself, someday. Polishing knobs doesn't sound like that much fun, but for the sake of a joke I'll suffer.

I don't know that I would want a party at an event like that again, when there's no driving allowed on the grass and things must be brought in with a handcart. I don't lift, bro. "But I'm a costumer!"


Comments