Linen.

I was recently told that I absolutely had to try Grayline linen. It's slightly cheaper than fabrics-store.com, and the shipping is slightly more reasonable as well. I ordered the 3.7 ounce handkerchief weight linen, at $9.95 a yard.

It's pretty comparable to fabrics-store.com 3.7 ounce linen. That being said, if I were to splurge. . .

The 2.8 ounces per yard handkerchief linen from William Booth draper is $22 a yard. I was able to press the linen from William Booth dry straight out of the wash with no issue, whereas the Grayline linen was leaving a linty rough deposit on my hand. At that point I said "eff this" and threw it in the dryer. It was indeed very linty. I washed it again, and pressed it dry. At that point I realized that if it meant I could only make 1 shirt instead of 2, it was probably worth it.

At the end of my smock (sweat)shop, I will have made 3 shirts, 2 from Grayline 3.7 ounce, 1 from fabrics-store.com 3.5 ounce, and I will likely be ordering 2.8 ounce linen from William Booth so I can have one insanely nice shirt. And then I hope I will not have to make a shirt for another 3-4 years, unless I am making a very specific outfit.

2 shirts will have a rounded off neck, and 1 shirt will have a square neck. All will have sleeves I can roll up to my elbows.

Wheee.


Comments