Textiel in Context

I received my copy of Textiel in Context by Hanna Zimmerman.

The Tudor Tailor's Etsy shop sells copies of this book. Depending on the exchange rate, the book is about $40. Shipping was $30. The book is in Dutch, with the exception of the summary which is in English and contains a ton of information if you can't read the Dutch. I'm able to muddle through on my German skills, which makes me happy. Once I used my degree as a mousepad so at least now in addition to being a mousepad my degree in German studies and English literature is helping me parse Dutch! HIGH FIVES GUYS.

Anyway, the short way to describe this book is that this is a dissertation of 16th century textile finds from Groningen, specifically from 1575 when the moat where the textiles were found was constructed to 1600 when the moat was filled in.

Map taken from Holland Under Hapsburg Rule, 1506-1566: The Formation of a Body Politic by James D. Tracy. 

This map is 20 years prior to the construction of the moat, but I find it's a narrow enough time range to use as an example. Groningen is up on the north-eastern side of the Hapsburg Netherlands.

I've had about 2 hours of quality time with this book, and I have to say the vocabulary list on page 375 is knocking it out of the park for me. I have to translate from Dutch to German to English, but generally I am able to grasp the loose meaning.

Should you buy this book? Well, it's your money but I think it was absolutely worth mine.

Comments