I can do better.

If there was anything WCCS taught me, it's that I could do better in terms of my general kit. I find that focusing my attention on the littler things helps me stay present as Aleit, and deciding to focus my attention on the littler things is more efficient for me in my modern life as well. I live in roughly 1000 square feet with my husband. We have no garage and no car, so when I go to events with other people I can't exactly take up their cargo space with my large pavilion, as cool as those are and plus where would I store it? The storage space in the carport is awkward for me to access and while great for Christmas decorations storing a whole camp in there as opposed to just my cabin tent and bedding is extreme.

The little ways I'd like to improve upon this year include what I eat with. I already owned a little acorn spoon but couldn't find it so I ended up bringing a bunch of modern cutlery to WCCS, which bummed me out.

I ordered a knife and pricker set from Boots by Bohemond (and some black 15th century shoes because while my mom has compared me to Imelda Marcos with my modern shoes, I only have 1 pair of medieval shoes and they are technically my husband's and too big for me). The knife and pricker arrived in the mail yesterday and I love them. Can't wait to put them to use, along with my new spoon. If my other spoon ever turns up, two spoons isn't the worst thing in the world.

Other ways I'm aspiring to be better is carrying my things around in little bentwood boxes. I've found some great deals on shaker boxes on Etsy. I'm going to put together a little sewing kit for events and use the bentwood box for that, as well as one for my jewelry. My large jewelry box that I got at the world market is very beautiful but also very heavy.

I'm going to attempt to make some pattens this year, as well as a leather costrel so I stay hydrated and have a cool thing that I can carry around without as much care as a mug of water.

I traded an old pair of viking age boots (they didn't feet my wide peasant feet very well, even after stretching) for a 6 sided box. I'll be able to carry my feast gear in it, as well as sit on it and have it look ok in someone's sunshade at events.

The little things are great, and the little things are worthwhile.

Comments