Funges is a fun guy

I made these for my 2 Kingdom event of Purgotorio way back in 2004. Or maybe it was 2005. Whatever, it was a long time ago. There was a potluck on the Eric and I wanted to make something delicious and historically correct! I don't recall them tasting too good back then, but in any case I needed to make something my #1 unwilling taste tester might actually like. He doesn't like peas, doesn't like cooked fruit. I guess on our first date we did unite over our common dislike of bell peppers so that's at least one thing we have in common. Here's something that flips the script - he LOVES mushrooms and I could do without them. So there you go.

Funges

Recipes for Funges can be found on Cariadoc's Miscellany and A Boke of Gode Cookery. It's a 14th century English recipe from Forme of Cury. I'll be making this vegan by using homemade veggie stock. You could buy vegetable broth from the store, but most use tomato which is a new world fruit and definitely not justifiable in a 14th century recipe. 

There's a difference in Cariadoc's redaction and Gode Cookery's redaction. Caridoc says "serve them" and Gode Cookery says "drain and serve" 

I'm going to serve it both ways to see which Mr. Taste Tester prefers. 

8 ounces mushrooms - either buy them sliced or buy them whole and dice them yourself. I used sliced because convenience is key.
1 leek, washed and finely sliced
2 cups veggie broth, homemade or purchased
a pinch of saffron
1/4 t powder fort*
salt  to taste, and optional.

*this is a mixture of spices. If you google it lots of things come up. Now I remember asking myself "what the what are cubebs?" 10 years ago. I personally omitted cubebs because I didn't have any at home and I did not want to track them down. Same goes for grains of paradise.

Throw everything except the saffron, salt, and spices in a pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce it to a simmer and add the spices. Let it all simmer until the mushrooms are tender. I personally let mine go for awhile because I had dishes to wash. It was all good.

Mr. Taste Tester liked them both ways.




Comments

  1. What does the orignal recipe say? That's the one you want to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original doesn't say anything about draining them. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment