Onions with cuminsauce with almonds

This recipe comes from the 15th century Dutch manuscript Wel ende edelike spijse which has been translated by Christianne Muusers of Coquinaria. As a 16th century Dutch lady living in the largely pre-16th century world of the West Kingdom, Coquinaria is an invaluable resource. Christianne provides the modern Dutch translation, the original middle Dutch text, and an English translation. This is especially useful to us non-Dutch speakers.

I also chose this recipe because of my experiments with almond milk. I wanted to compare/contrast the the homemade almond milk with the store bought almond milk


2.7. Onions with cumin sauce with almonds

Depending on what bread you use, this could be vegan or vegetarian and gluten free if you need it to be. I used Udi's gluten free bread so a friend with an intolerance could eat it and some TJs breadcrumbs for my own sample. I made the batches using bread crumbs because I lazily intrepreted "ground" as bread crumbs. If I try this again I'm going to try it with slices of fresh bread as well that I grind up. 

English translation of the text:
Take cumin, saffron and bread, ground and tempered with almond milk. Let it boil with the onion. Add salt and let it then cool sufficiently.

Redaction:
For the gluten free batch I used
1 cup of Udi's stale whole wheat bread slices, ground.
1/4 of a large onion sliced thinly
3 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp cumin (more to taste if desired)
salt to taste


I interpreted the consistency of this as something like Cream of Wheat. Knowing I was using gluten free bread with some ingredients that could mess with the outcome of the texture, I really had to play this by ear. I kept adding water to the homemade almond milk versions because they really thickened up.

For the TJ's breadcrumb version I used
1 cup of breadcrumbs
3 cups of almond milk
1/4 large onion
1/2tsp cumin
salt to taste

My friend who ate the gluten free version was my blind taste testing guinea pig. She preferred the version made with homemade almond milk

My boyfriend said "This tastes like refried beans" and he made a stinky face. I did not get a picture of the stinky face.

I was pretty indifferent... Not sure if I'd make it again. It's really bland.


Comments