I can't spare any asparagus!

Asparagus. I didn't always enjoy it, truth be told. Then I spent 15 months living in Germany and learned to love it.

Here's a very simple dish of boiled asparagus and herbs, taking from Gode Cookery.

On preparing asparagus

Definitely check out the link to Gode Cookery. There's the bonus of boiling the asparagus in wine, which I was going to do until I realized I was out of wine. Oh well. Plus there's a list of other herbs you could use, in case thyme is not your thing. 

Green asparagus - much as you'd like, cleaned and trimmed. 
Thyme - cleaned and finely chopped
olive oil
Vinegar 
Salt

Boil the asparagus until it's fork tender. Place it on a serving dish and sprinkle a bit of olive oil, vinegar, salt, and thyme on them. Hand toss and serve immediately.

One thing I love about this recipe is you can make as little or as much as you need. Easy for sure and not too intimidating for those who have no idea what historical foods were like.




Comments