Loop Braiding Workshop with Ingrid Crickmore

Just a reminder, yes I have a blog. I post somewhat infrequently so if you want updates please subscribe by submitting your e-mail address. I don't get to see it, you can also unsubscribe at anytime. Just type your e-mail address into the Follow by Email box, and hit submit. 



At the beginning of November I took a fingerloop braiding workshop with Ingrid Crickmore at The Lace Museum in Sunnyvale. I really enjoyed myself and how she taught the class. I've fingerloop braided before and I've learned multiple times and "forgotten" multiple times and my gefränse is attached to a braid I made. But I never really got it when reading about it from Fingerloop.org. I could only so a 5 loop braid.

We learned the v-fell method, while the a-fell is historically accurate to Europe. That being said, as Ingrid explains on her website (check it out!) you can hold more loops with v-fell. So it's what I do now. It's easier, and I suspect the times I learned to loop braid I learned v-fell. 

Loop braiding got me pumped on sewing again because now I want to loop braid to make things to go with the clothes. I suppose I just needed a little kickstart. 

Last night I was loop braiding for my super sekrit Twelfth Night Project but alas, I used a strandable 12ply embroidery silk and it did not give me what I wanted. I prefer the #5 perle which I've worked with before. I have to track some down since my local needlepoint store is now gone. My options to purchase the thread are to drive to San Mateo, or to drive to Gilroy, or order online. 

Womp womp womp. 

Here are some photos from the workshop and some random braids I've done since. 

When lace maskell goes wrong. 

Grene dorge aka barleycorn. 

The 8 loop black and white spiral was pretty fun, as was the bicolor (departed) loops on the rainbow braid. 

"What do you mean I can get up and leave?"




This is a 7 loop sampler I did. I have now started tagging my sample braids. The three at the bottom of the picture are my favorite. 








Comments